Re: Updated Bobby

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:06:38 -0800
To: "Ineke van der Maat" <inekemaa@xs4all.nl>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 3:45 PM -0800 12/19/01, Ineke van der Maat wrote:
>I coded  <html  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="de"> as valid
>XHTML 1.1 requires.
>But updated  Bobby says: "accessibility error" , do this:
>
>Did I do something wrong? Or is Bobby not really updated to the latest
>specs?

Check the XHTML 1.0 spec's Compatability Guidelines With HTML Browsers
section.  I believe they recommend using both xml:lang and lang --
because nearly all browsers fail to understand xml:lang attributes.

Since assistive technology is included in that group, it's correct of
Bobby to identify this as an accessibility error.

In general, you should only use XHTML _without_ following the HTML
compatability rules if you know that every browser accessing the
service will understand "native" XHTML.  There are few browsers which
do this and even fewer ATs (if any), so native XHTML 1.0 is not
recommended.  (Nor is XHTML 1.1 for that matter.)

--Kynn