Web page titles

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@joeclark.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 14:20:10 -0500
To: WAI-IG <w3c-wai-ig@W3.org>, j.m.donkin@dur.ac.uk
>Can someone tell me, if I have a number of pages on my site and I
>name them all for example
>
>Company - Section1 - Page Name 1
>Company - Section1 - Page Name 2
>Company - Section2 - Page Name 3
>
>Is that really annoying for those with speech browsers

Screen readers, you mean? (Yes, IBM Home Page Reader could be
described as a speech browser, but "speech browser" is one of those
dead-giveaway terms.)

>as it says everything all the time, or is it quite useful as it
>tells you exactly where you are?

Put the most specific information first: Page1, Section1, Company.
Among other things, Windows users will see Page1 in a reduced view in
the Taskbar. Some browsers (IE5 on Macintosh among them) truncate
window titles. This is one of those rare cases when I agree with
Jakob Nielsen: <http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9611.html>.
--

   Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org | <http://joeclark.org/access/>
   Accessibility articles, resources, and critiques