From: Vadim Plessky [mailto:lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru]
Sent: 05 December 2001 13:58
To: Sharon Dennison; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Tree Navigation - Javascript

On Wednesday 05 December 2001 00:26, Sharon Dennison wrote:
|   We are considering implementing a tree navigation structure on a website
|   which would expand/contract - similar to Outlook - as choices were made.
|
|   Can anyone tell me the problems this may cause, particularly for a
|   vision impaired user who may be using an assistive technology - it is
|   anticpated it would be coded using Javascript.
|
|   I recognise that a P1 is that pages still need to be usable when scripts
|   are turned off - can anyone suggest how this could be done better using
|   a similar kind of functionality or an alternative that could be provided
|   if scripts when are disabled.  Any example sites would be appreciated.

Check http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/
Site itself uses JS-based "collapsing" menus, in addition Peter-Paul Koch
(author of that site) has many useful scripts.

as about "pages still need to be usable when scripts are turned off"
 - you may want to put <A HREF="your link when JS is off" onclick=".. call
JS
function to show page ...">
So with scripting turned Off user will get pre-defined page, while with JS
available you can fine-tune new page.

Hope this helps.

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)

SchlumbergerSema.
If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the SchlumbergerSema Helpdesk by telephone on +44 (0) 121 627 5600.