Re: Tree Navigation - Javascript

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 07:05:31 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> (I have had a quick look through the archives, but finding exactly what
> I was after was proving very difficult)

I think that is because there is no clean way of doing it that provides
adequate NS 4 tolerance.  In my view, the best way of doing collapsible
menus involves constructing a nested list, styling it to look more like
the typical tree menu, and activating the parts of the style sheets that
"display: none" the collapsed parts, during the initialisation, but that
won't work on NS4, whereas the typical hacks in terms of moving around
layers will.

What it is really needed is a declarative approach within CSS (I've not
checked CSS3, for possible existing *future* support) which allows
a nested list to be declared to be a collapsible menu, rather than
having to rely on high risk techniques like scripting.

Essentially, HTML is not a suitable medium for doing collapsible menus
in the real world at the moment, so any attempt to do so will be messy.