Re: mark up for complex data tables

From: Steven McCaffrey <smccaffr@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:43:55 -0500
To: <Julian.Scarlett@sheffield.gov.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi Julian:

     Here's the output I get with JFW 3.31 using the virtual cursor.  When it encounters a table, it simply linearizes the table.  Later versions allow cell by cell navigation but I don't yet have the later versions so I can't speak to whether the markup will allow such navigation.  I also would guess that Lynx would give a similar rendering but would need to check.
  If the person with a screen reader checks out the table, be sure they try the table navigation commands if they are available.
With my version, I can't tell what headings go with which cells, but people with later versions may have no trouble.

Steve

complex table - RAS work in progress
2001 Key Stage 3 results for xxxxxx school.

School name
Subject
Band
LEA