RE: Headers for tables used for layout

From: Mike Scott <mscott@msfw.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:44:30 -0600
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
We may have been down this road already, but it would make a lot of sense to
push for a standard like using summary="" (null, literally two quotes with
nothing in between) for layout tables, just like we use alt="" for images
that don't convey meaning.

Of course, we'd have to get the assistive technologies to respond
accordingly (i.e. not say summary=null). As an added benefit, JAWS (and
others) could recognize it as a layout table and refrain from babbling on
about "table with x columns and y rows"...