Re: Language -- am I being too vigillant?

David wrote:
>I believe some popular search engines ignore the metadata because
>people have taken to stuffing it with inappropriate keywords.

That's true.  What the gentleman I was talking with wanted was the term
"handicapped" on the page, where he and his friends could find it.  One way
to do that, and still be politically correct, is to have the politically
correct term be the main listing, and either have the related terms in
parentheses along side the proper term, or have separate listings with See
Persons With Disabilities linking to the proper term.  People can use the
page's Find command or a search engine to locate the information that way.

Of course, "handicapped" isn't the only term where this sort of thing
applies.  The key thing is to make sure that the people who need the
information can find the information and access it when they do.

Terry

Terry Brainerd Chadwick, InfoQuest! Information Services
mailto:tbchad@tbchad.com  1-503-228-4023  http://www.tbchad.com
Providing Internet Audits and Optimization to Improve Performance
Accessibility, Analytics, Content, Promotion, Search, Usability