Re: Language -- am I being too vigillant?

From: <Demonpenta2@aol.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 15:01:03 EST
To: david@davidsaccess.com
CC: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
In a message dated 11/8/01 12:57:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
david@davidsaccess.com writes:

> My intention was based on my own feelings and what I think is the
> prevailing viewpoint in the community. The response, as shown below,
> surprised and frustrated me.
>
> Am I taking political correctness too far?

       To a point. 508 is meant for the Government...Military/DOD consumers,
which make up one of their primary consumers apparent, I can attest somewhat,
tend to have a very...impatient view regarding the disabled. (For example,
it's rare to see military installations really usefully ADA-compliant.
Soldiers are almost never in need of it, and the military's view of the
disabled is "screw them, they're useless, and somebody else's problem.") So
one assumes military officials are clueless. Otherwise, government as a whole
is rather...cranky about disabilities. Most bureaucrats don't know and don't
care about disabilities.