Re: JAWS doesn't seem to hear Table annotations?

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:55:23 -0600
To: Patrick Burke <burke@ucla.edu>, "Gatewood, Joy" <jogat@opic.gov>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I was told that IBM Home Page Reader (HPR) 3.0 is the only screen reader
that actually supports the table headers mark-up and that JAWs isn't using
the markup, but the top cell in the column.  Odd isn't it that it's both a
WCAG and 508 requirement but only one A.T. supports it?

A free trail version of HPR is available from

Phill Jenkins

Patrick Burke <burke@ucla.edu>@w3.org on 11/06/2001 12:42:32 PM

Sent by:  w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org

To:   "Gatewood, Joy" <jogat@opic.gov>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject:  Re: JAWS doesn't seem to hear Table annotations?

Hi Joy,

Jaws won't read the table as described automatically, but the header & cell
information can be obtained with the CONTROL+ALT+Numericpad5 keystroke.
(Control+Alt+arrow keys may also speak the cell information, but I'm a bit
hazy on which applications these are supposed to work in.)

is the definitive table reference.

Be glad you don't have to code for Jaws perfection, though. In general, as
a designer it's best to code to the standard & let the various screen
readers do the rest. If Jaws or another program doesn't implement
correctly, it's their problem.