form fields in table layout

From: Ali (Alejandra) Beatty <alib@ecollege.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 17:27:12 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I'm hoping I can get some advice for a complex layout combining tables and
form fields. I apologize for not having a sample page. The code is below for
anyone who wants to cut and paste. I've got a table laid out to input grades
for students (picture your 3rd grade teacher's gradebook). The first row is
the header for each unit of the class. In the first column is the student's
name (hence scope=row). In each cell, there's a input box for entering the
grade. I've got the headers/id combo for creating the cross-reference, the
problem is, what text to use as the label? Each of the input boxes has to be
named differently. They can't share the same ID, because ID has to be
unique. I can change the layout of the table, and repeat the headers and
student name for each student, but that seems very clunky for a sighted
user. I could use the student's name as the label, but then how can you hear
the difference between the field for unit 1 vs. unit 2? I've tried these
combinations with JAWS 3.7, and when it's reading a form field, it doesn't
give you the table header information. Very frustrating.

TIA. Ali

<caption>Student Gradebook</caption>
		<th></th>
		<th id="0">
			Unit 1
		</th>
		<th id="1">
			Unit 2
		</th>

			<label for="stud1text1">
			<input type="text" name="stud1text1" ></td>
			<input type="text" name="stud1text2" ></td>
			<label for="U1T1L1">
			<input type="text" name="stud2text1" ></td>
			<input type="text" name="stud2text2" ></td>

> Ali Beatty
> Senior Developer
eCollege
alib@ecollege.com