Re: "directly accessible" is ?

Directly accessible means that the functions themselves are accessible, as
well as there being an alternative for them.

Chaals

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, David Woolley wrote:

  > I need to clarify what the exact meaning is for checkpoint 8.1 "Make
  > programmatic elements such as scripts and applets directly accessible
  > or compatible with assistive technologies [Priority 1 if
  > functionality is important and not presented elsewhere, otherwise
  > Priority 2.]"

  I think that directly accessible means that there is a route to the
  functions that works without scripting/applets.  The "compatible"
  clause seems to weaken this by allowing these features if some
  assistive technology tools can cope (although, in my view it weakens it
  too far, as it prevents people from applying good security practice,
  e.g. the advised immediate response to Nimda was to disable scripting;
  also, many cannot afford the document object model aware assistive
  technology that tends to be needed).

  Note that popup menus violate the no popups requirement unless there
  are clear and specific warnings that they will trigger a popup.

  In my view, they also make the site more difficult to learn to use as
  they differ in behaviour from the built in browser controls.  I'm thinking
  in terms of older people who have never been computer literate, but
  I think this could also apply to some younger people.