Re: re:a question of scripts (this time completed)

From: Jim Ley <jim@e-media.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 09:32:02 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
"John Morse":
> Apologies if this questions has been asked already,
> I tried to search the archives but failed :(
>
> I have a query about Scripting, more precisely JavaScript and how
different
> voice browsers interpret inline JavaScript functions
> and linked JavaScript source.

It depends entirely on whether they support javascript, something like
Jaws (which is a screen reader of course, not a voice browser) uses a
browser that is almost certainly javascript aware, and will proces it
exactly as it would if the screen reader wasn't involved.  Except of
course that you won't necessarily get the same events firing.

> am I safe to embed JavaScript logic client side or should I use a
linked
> file to fire off my functions, or does it make no difference what so
ever?

That is unlikely to make any difference with all but the oldest browsing
software.

Just author your javascript well (use object detection, ensure it's not
required, think carefully about events) and there shouldn't be any
problems.

Jim.