RE: Section 508

At 10:12 AM 10/22/2001 , Denise Wood wrote:
>I too was initially a little confused/concerned as to why Cynthia felt the need to address these matters via email rather than publicly through a discussion forum. However, I was pleased that she made the offer to respond to individual concerns privately as I respect her opinion.
>I gave Cynthia's response some thought after receiving the email and it occurred to me that she may be concerned about exposing an individual organisation to potential litigation by going into detail about specific cases in a public forum. Any such discussion would have to be vague and full of hypotheticals to protect the individuals seeking advice. Whereas people who are genuinely in need of specific advice would be able to get down to detail via private email with Cynthia.

I think also that when it comes to giving legal advice or discussions
of specific cases, people such as Cynthia with legal training have
to be a lot more careful than, say, someone such as myself who can
shoot off his mouth and not be taken seriously cuz, hey, I'm just
a web guy.  I can give you technical advice on how to improve your
site, but when it comes to the law I hope nobody takes my word as
gospel.

Besides, there are some "great breakthroughs" I've seen advertised
on various bookblogs recently, but I know I won't ever see those
techniques discussed or shared openly -- I'll have to wait and buy
the book to gain the benefit of some peoples' wisdom.  And it seems
weird for Cynthia to be publicly chastised by that author for
not sharing...

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>