Re: mac and accessibility - slightly ot

The Mac also has had speech control of many functions for a while now.

And anything that can be applescripted can be controlled, which makes it
fairly powerful. (At least in america- it doesn't understand my accent <sigh>
but I believe it can also understand american spanish).

There are a handful of open source access tools available too, and some are
pretty neat.

Chaals

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Jo Miller wrote:

  At 8:52 -0700 10/5/01, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
  >At 08:41 AM 10/5/2001 , Anthony Quinn wrote:
  >>Hi Folks,
  >>
  >>I've attempted to research accessibility guidelines and support on the Mac.
  >>I found this link to a very general article which is really all about 508
  >>and web accessibility http://developer.apple.com/internet/_html/access.html
  >>
  >>Also, I tried to find information in the Apple Developer site (I signed up)
  >>and there's noting in there. If someone was designing an interface for the
  >>Mac, where would they go for specifics on making it accessible?
  >>
  >>Or is there any support for accessibility in the Mac OS at all?
  >
  >My understanding is that Mac accessibility is quite limited.

  Joe Clark wrote about Mac accessibility in TidBits a while back:
  http://db.tidbits.com/getbits.acgi?tbart=06311

  Universal Access and OSX:
  http://www.apple.com/disability/

  In the area of web accessibility, I would note that IE5.x for Mac
  allows easy one-click resizing of ALL text, regardless of what units
  the web author has used to specify his font sizes (we're still
  waiting for this feature in IE-Windows). And text-to-speech has been
  built into the Mac OS for a long while now (yes, I know its
  limitations).

  David Pogue, a Macworld columnist who has repetitive-motion disorder
  and relies on voice commands to work on his Mac, wrote an article
  about voice recognition and device-independent input a couple of
  years ago -- I'll try to find the reference.

  Jo Miller
  B e n d i n g   L i n e
  7 0 3 - 7 8 3 - 0 6 9 5
  Strategic Web Consulting