Re: mac and accessibility - slightly ot

At 09:27 AM 10/5/2001 , Jo Miller wrote:
>In the area of web accessibility, I would note that IE5.x for Mac allows easy one-click resizing of ALL text, regardless of what units the web author has used to specify his font sizes (we're still waiting for this feature in IE-Windows). And text-to-speech has been built into the Mac OS for a long while now (yes, I know its limitations).
>
>David Pogue, a Macworld columnist who has repetitive-motion disorder and relies on voice commands to work on his Mac, wrote an article about voice recognition and device-independent input a couple of years ago -- I'll try to find the reference.

Macs have a great amount of built-in stuff; it really should be THE
platform for accessibility, since most of the features you'd need
were available years and years ago, literally, long before Windows
had 'em.

Unfortunately it seems to be (in my opinion) a bunch of useful blocks
which haven't been assembled into buildings and thus is a less useful
platform than Microsoft.

Joe Clark's article you cited is quite good at laying this all out.
Apple simply hasn't the corporate commitment to being an accessible
platform that Microsoft has had.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>