Re: Why JavaScript at all?

>David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
>On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 22:51:19 +0100 (BST)
>Subject: Re: Why JavaScript at all?

I know this is a very old post, but it contains such Gross inaccuracies
as I feel they need to be corrected in the archive if nothing else.

>> Javascript is one of the very few tools that is 'free', and it also
does not

>That's not relevant to most of the web sites that cause most problems
>with it as they will be using either expensive Javascript debugging
>tools or high level web site creation tools that output canned
Javascript.

I know of no Expensive JavaScript Debugging Tools, MS and NN provide free
debugging tools for their browsers, urls please, I'd like them for the
FAQ.

>For Windows, VBScript is also available at no extra charge over the
>operating system and is better suited to doing things under Windows.

Justification?  VBScript and JScript (MS's ECMAScript implementation.)
have identical capabilities, and can be used in all the same places,
security is identical between VBScript and JScript in IE, they use
identical security procedures.

>Also, nearly all the server side scripting tools are even more free than
>Javascript in that the source code is available.

There's plenty of sourcecode for Javascript, indeed - Opera's
implementation is probably the only one where it is not possible to get
the source, even MS's JScript is possible with only licence
considerations.

>There are also free tools for creating native Windows applications.
>And the command line Java development tools are free (although, again,
>commercial developers will almost never use the free tools in the same
>way as they will never code Javascript in a text editor).

90% of commercial javascript developers I know all use a text editor, and
all of the ones I would employ do (as a judge of their competence.)

Jim.