Re: Font sizes

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 20:11:35 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> I need some references to quote on fonts and good web design for a friend of

The only reference I know of is Microsoft's typography site; I'm
afraid I don't have the URL to hand.

Whilst serif fonts tend to be most readable in print, the resolution
of screens means that one needs to apply "small print" print rules, not
"body text" rules.  In print, one doesn't use serif fonts for small print,
but either sans-serifs or humanist (which have more structure).  A typical
print "small print" font is Optima (also available as Zapf Humanist).

Fonts like Verdana are attempting to be optimised for screen resolutions.

The other thing to avoid is anything less than about 10 pixels high.