Re: Beta testers wanted

On 14 Aug 2001, Madeleine Rothberg wrote:

if anyone with AOL using LINUX tries this I would love to hear your
experience

Bob

> Circulated on behalf of AOL.
>
> Hello,
>
> AOL is looking for Beta Testers to test new accessibility
> features
>
> America Online 6.0, released in October 2000, marked a number of significant
> milestones in AOL's efforts to make our service accessible to all users. We
> have spent the last several months building upon these accessibility
> features and are now ready to beta test these improvements using AOL's most
> super-charged testing, a "Focused Beta Test."
>
> The Focused Beta Test for accessibility is a call to Assistive Technology
> users to report on their AOL experience using Assistive Technologies such as
> screen readers, screen magnifiers, voice recognition, speech output, and
> alternatives to the standard keyboards and mouses.
>
> To ensure the success of this effort, AOL would like to invite people who
> use Assistive Technologies in their day-to-day computer use to be a part of this
> evaluation. Individuals with this experience will play an important role in
> providing feedback to AOL Product Developers so we can continue toward our
> mission of building a more accessible AOL.
>
> Here's how you (or any Assistive Technology user) can participate:
>
> To become a Beta Tester you must first have an AOL account. If you are not
> an AOL member, you may join using one of our free AOL 6.0 CDs, which may
> offer you up to 700 free hours of usage. You can call to order a CD at
> 1-800-827-6364 or download the software at www.aol.com. You are under no
> obligation to continue with the AOL service at the end of your trial period,
> but must contact us if you wish to cancel in the future.
>
> -- Once logged online to the AOL service, visit AOL Keyword: Beta to
> register. Then, select the America Online 7.0 Beta link and click the "Focus
> Tests" button to find the link to the "Accessibility Focus Test." (Note for
> screen reader users: use the Tab key to navigate all beta application
> screens also use the Spacebar instead of the Enter key to open windows.)
>
> -- You will be asked to review and sign AOL's non-disclosure form and to
> provide information on the type(s) of Assistive technology you use to access
> the AOL service. Although you will have access to the Beta area immediately
> upon completing the application, please allow us one business day to process
> the application.
>
> As an AOL Beta Tester you will receive instructions weekly regarding specific
> products you can choose to test. You will be asked to provide feedback about
> the products functionality, and to fill out a bug report if you find
> something does not work. (Note to JAWS and Window Eyes users: to most
> effectively use AOL with your screen reader, you will need to copy AOL
> screenreader files into your screenreader directory. Information on how to
> do this is available in the "Accessibilty Focus Test" area at AOL Keyword:
> Beta.)

> [...]

   /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign       accessBob                       .-.
   \ /   NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail   accessys@smartnospam.net        /v\
    X    NO MSWord docs in e-mail    Access Systems, engineers      // \\
   / \   NO attachments in e-mail    equal access is a civil right /( _ )\
THIS message and any attachements are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privleged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks