Evaluations and Analysis of Current Versions of Section 508 Tools

From: Michael R. Burks <mburks952@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:43:05 -0400
To: <sec508@trace.wisc.edu>, "WAI IG" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I apologize for the cross posting.

Does anyone know it there is anyone who has done an analysis and evaluation
of the Section 508 Tools available.

I am working on one but cannot include them all because some at least as far
as I know do not make evaluation copies available.

I know of the following tools and have worked with the ones I have marked

A-prompt - Free, I am just beginning to analyze it.
SSB - I am working with an evaluation copy of the New Release - I must say
things like the gray scale preview move it to the top of my list.
Hiawatha Software - Just beginning to look at it, the reports look good but
you can only run it 15 times so that is going to be a problem.
New Coast Guard Tools - just got these today, they are free and look very
good!  Below is what they are and how you can get them.

1.    AccessibilityMonitor - monitors a website for newly posted
non-compliant web pages and alerts webmasters responsible for the relevant
content are - integrates with Outlook for email and tasking of web page
corrections - includes an extensible set of compliance rules.  Some agencies
seem to be taking the view that the purpose of 508 is to make all pages
compliant - which is partly true; the law however applies to new or dynamic
pages - thus this application is useful from a time management
perspective...
2.  PageWriter - uses same extensible rule checking engine - but is designed
to be a Frontpage type tool for creating new web pages in a 508 compliant
fashion
3. DirWriter - allows webmasters to quickly process 508 corrections accross
domains/sites from one app.  The first two apps operate along a page-by page
basis - but this one takes a more macro approach.

Here's the link where you can download and evaluate these free tools:
http://www.uscg.mil/legal/508/readme.htm

Are there other tools that can be evaluated?  I know the Wave has been down
for a long time, I wonder if it will ever come  back up.

Any help on this project would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Mike Burks