Re: Popular Accessible Sites Request

From: Davey Leslie <davey@inx-jp.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:56:31 +0900
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I've received several requests from folks wanting to know what URLs I have
been sent. After responding individually off-list, I've decided to go ahead
and post the responses to the list. Seems to have struck a nerve of sorts.

Here's the collection so far:

Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>:

Traffik.com Portals FAQ:

Mike Burks <mburks952@worldnet.att.net>:

Try these sites:

These sites are but a small sample of what you can fine at
http://www.cast.org/Bobby/ApprovedSites318.cfm.  Click on the Link at the
top that will list all of them! Or you can choose a specific category.

Debi Orton <oradnio@albany.net>:

I have a general interest site that's accessible, if you're interested.  In
fact, I've asked both screen reader and Braille display users to check it
out for me so that I could be sure it was accessible.  It's not a news or
portal site, but a literary journal.

The URL is http://www.flashquake.org

David Poehlman <poehlman1@home.com>:

gee, I kind of like the following:

There are more but I can navigate and work with them ok.

here's one for the road:
clock on shop on line.
it's not conpletely what I'd call accessible but it works.

Mike Burks <mburks952@worldnet.att.net>:

I would try www.ncgov.com.  Not only is it accessible, but it has won a
number of awards..

Tyler Kendall <tyler_kendall@ncsu.edu>

   One example that I usually use is the California State Portal:
http://www.my.ca.gov/state/portal/myca_homepage.jsp, which, yes, has some
problems - and, in fact, has gotten worse over time - but is otherwise a

Kelly Ford:

...Having a predictable landmark can also be of value.  For example after
selecting a section of interest on <http://www.nytimes.com> I know that...

If you are anyone else is interested in discussing more of a user
perspective, one forum is a list I run called Webwatch.  You can join with
a message to webwatch-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.  Traffic on the list is
generally low volume and it too is largely focused on screen reading and
screen enlargement users.  And in fact you might want to visit
<http://www.magnifiers.org> and the list mentioned there if screen
enlargement is a sector of interest.

Two other good forums for reaching screen reading users are blindtech
(blindtech-subscribe@yahoogroups.com) and vicug-l (send a message to
listserv@maelstrom.stjohns.edu with subscribe vicug-l as the
text).  Blindtech is a high volume list with a hundred messages a day being
quite common.  Vicug-l is anothert low volume list.

Davey Leslie
INX  English by Design