Re: Single vs. multiple sites for accessibility

From: Pat Byrne <pat@glasgowwestend.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 23:43:56 +0100
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
on 5/7/01 10:20 pm, David Woolley at david@djwhome.demon.co.uk wrote:

>> If that's not an option for you (and, by the way, it SHOULD be; the
>> idea of a huge site full of static pages is a VERY dated concept and
> It's interesting how software goes in circles.  HTML was designed to
> replace gopher, because gopher looked too much like it had been generated
> from a database, but HTML allowed one to mix in links in the correct
> context in the text.  Once you start mechanically generating HTML from
> structured data, you are repeating the circle, rather than making real
> progress.

It is possible to have the best of both worlds. Store the all the bits of
your site in a content management systems, all in standard HTML (because
your content management system can link up with other HTML generation
programs or text editors), publish pages to a static server or generate them

That is how I do it. I use Frontier (http://frontier.userland.com) for site
that are complex and need a lot of scripting and Manila
(manila.userland.com) which has a Web interface for simpler sites. Site
management is the only way to go if you want to stay sane and get the job

> My own perception of the way the W3C tries to go is that they would
> want the master document to be a public XML document, not one hidden in
> the server, and to use style sheets to customise it to different formats,
> client side.

One XML document is just like one record in a database. If you want to have
a manageable XML storage/publishing system I think you will still need a
database of some sort.

Glasgow West End: Pat's Guide: http://www.glasgowwestend.co.uk

Guide to all that's best in Glasgow's West End: What's On, Eating Out,
Shopping, Flat Hunting, Local Characters, Classified Ads., Community
Pinboard, Art for Sale and Free Photographs to download.

Quick to load, accessible Web sites - built with the minimum of fuss.

Jim and Pat Byrne