From: "Martha Wilkes" <Martha.Wilkes@sas.com>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 1:57 PM
Subject: How accessible is Netscape?

The task of getting any web page to behave consistently across browsers
is incredibly difficult already, as all the web designers and developers
on the list are well aware. What does accessibility add to the equation?
This issue came up in terms of testing for 508 compliance. How much
should we focus on Netscape?

Many of our customers use Netscape exclusively, and we were wondering if
those customers (many of which are government agencies, universities,
etc.) will be able to meet accessibility guidelines if they use only
Netscape. The greater question: will their users be able to choose the
technology that best suits them (which just might be IE for certain
users, correct?), regardless of the agency's purchasing agreements?

I have not had much luck finding out any information on Netscape's web
site. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

martha

martha.wilkes@sas.com | 919.531.1416