Re: How accessible is Netscape?

As the new accessibility lead for Netscape, I'm very glad to see some
discussion of Netscape accessibility.

First, let me make sure everone understands that the Netscape 6.x
product line is a completely new code base - it has little or nothing to
do with Netscape 4.x, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Whatever
accessibility Netscape 4.x had or didn't have, is completely irrelevant
to new versions of Netscape being developed today.

I will admit to some problems. Netscape 6.0 was probably pushed out the
door a bit early -- there were too many bugs, and there was little
thought put toward accessibility, whether with the keyboard or with 3rd
party accessibility software. That said, I think a lot of usesr will be
quite pleased by Netscape 6.1. It's support for standards is truly
second to none, because it was built from scratch for the standards.
It's user interface is beautiful and fun to use. If you wish to try it,
you can download a Netscape 6.1 preview release at
http://home.netscape.com/browsers/6/index61pr.html?cp=briinf

Accessibility is now an important push at Netscape. Many of the
accessibility features have not been fully implemented. For example, we
do not yet support the MSAA API, needed by screen readers, for the
entire user interface. If you're interested in our development efforts,
see http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ui/accessibility. There are articles
about our work there, and you can find pointers to our accessibility
mailing list in the Keyboard UI Design FAQ.

We have been working on several fronts, especially:
- Keyboard accessibility - this benefits everyone
- MSAA support, so that we can work with screen readers, voice dictation
packages and other 3rd party accessibility solutions in Windows
- Appearances preferences, such as font size, zooming and colors

Because we're an open source project, we're always interested in
whatever feedback or input people want to give us, especially in the
area of accessibility. If Netscape accessibility is important to you,
don't be shy. There are many volunteers working on the code base, filing
and triaging bugs, testing and writing documentation. At some point, we
need volunteers to help test Netscape with all the accessibility aids
availbable on the market. Don't worry, we're not relying on volunteers,
but the nature of open source means that we do not turn away qualified
individuals who wish to make their mark on our product. If you don't
like something about the way other browsers solve the problems of
accessibility, here is your chance to help make a browser that does what
you like.

While I would not currently recommend Netscape to any of my friends with
disabilities, I would tell them to look forward to full accessibility in
some upcoming version, and that accessibility is being escalated as a
high priority item. I would ask web designers merely to adhere to the
W3C standards - that alone will keep their pages from being unusable in
Netscape, and I guarantee they will always have visitors that prefer
Netscape.

Thank you,
Aaron Leventhal
Netscape Accessibilty