Re: Text version of image used as a link

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 06:38:55 -0500 (EST)
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Right - for level A conformance it's fine, but for higher levels you should
not be using images of text (contravenes checkpoint 3.1

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, David Woolley wrote:

  > If I have an image used as a link and I add 'alt' text
  > are there any circumstances where I would _also_ need
  > to supply a standard text link to the same target?

  Given that you shouldn't be using images of text, you will
  need a text version unless the image is a universally recognized
  icon (these are extremely rare as images in real web sites).

  If you are foregoing a high level of compliance and using text
  as images, you will need a text link if the text in the image
  is not in a clean font with good colour contrasts.