RE: ALT - TITLE - LONGDESC?

From: Jon Hanna <jon@spinsol.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:18:51 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> Further, Mac IE5 allegedly passes LONGDESC through the DOM.

According to the documentation this is the case with IE4+ for all
platforms. However I have in the past come across inaccurate platform
compatibility information in the documentation.

alert(document.images[0].getAttribute("longdesc")) works in IE5 for
Windows.

You will want to use option 0 or 2 only if you use options - the
above is equivalent to:

alert(document.images[0].getAttribute("longdesc",0))

as 0 is the default. option 1 is case-sensitive so only of use if you
are using xhtml, since HTML was case-insensitive up until early this
year, and many people are still writing it as if it still was. In the
case of a javascript button to bring all longdesc information into
the displayed page you would need to assume it is case insensitive.

I haven't tried writing one yet, but I've had some success with a
button of pointing to
"javascript:while(document.images.length)void(document.images[0].outer
TML=document.images[0].alt)" which is handy for a quick text-only
check while developing, but hardly a full test (it replaces all
images with their alt text)