RE: Screen Readers

From: Mike Scott <mscott@msfw.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:32:08 -0600
To: "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, "Jo Donkin" <j.m.donkin@durham.ac.uk>

JAWS for Windows is generally considered to be the leading Windows screen
reader in the US. You can find a free demo version at
http://www.hj.com/JAWS/JAWS.html. Window-Eyes, http://www.gwmicro.com,
Window Bridge, http://www.synthavoice.com, and HAL,
http://www.dolphinuk.co.uk/, are also contenders. I believe they all also
offer demonstration versions.

You may also want to try a speech-enabled browser like IBM's Home Page
Reader, http://www-3.ibm.com/able/hpr.html, and a screen magnifier with
speech like ZoomText Xtra Level 2, http://www.aisquared.com.

Testing with the actual assistive technologies is definitely a vitally
important step in designing accessible sites (& software), and can really
help you understand the purpose and spirit of WCAG guidelines.

Hope this helps,

MSF&W Consulting