Table Rendering Bug [was RE: Aaargh .. Whatever happened to Bobby

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:44:22 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
I think the major complaint Nick had about the Bobby page, text overlapping
into a table, is actually an interesting table rendering bug in the major
browsers.  I made a test page [1] containing, visually speaking,
preformatted text on the left and a table on the right. When you make the
browser window narrow, the text overlaps the table, making both unreadable.

By the way, to avoid red herrings, I didn't use tables for layout in this
example.  The table is a data table.

This is an accessibility issue because the point at which they overap
depends on font size.  In other words you make the text larger, e.g. using
the View > text size menu, it will cause the overlap.

The page passes the w3 validator at the HTML 4/transitional level.  This
bug shows up in MISE 5, NN 4.73, and Opera 3.21 (gotta update my home

[1] http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday/wai/tablebug/

Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP and Dept. of Electrical Engineering at Temple
(215) 204-2247 (voice)                 (800) 750-7428 (TTY)
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday         mailto:kasday@acm.org

Chair, W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Evaluation and Repair Tools Group

The WAVE web page accessibility evaluation assistant: