Re: Bobby rating over rated

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 07:47:16 -0800
To: "Paul Davis" <paul@ten-20.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 12:21 AM 2/5/2001 , Paul Davis wrote:
>Pleasantly surprised to note we are singing from the same hymn sheet on
>this, ( did I really use that expression? sorry) Ten-20 recently lost out on
>a lucrative contract/web build because I stupidly mentioned in the tender
>that a Bobby compliant logo was not a vital requirement and did not always
>signify accessibility anyway.

That's a definite shame.  I would not say that Bobby itself is
over-rated -- the program is amazing for what it does -- but rather
that Bobby -compliance- is overrated by many who want to simplify
the web accessibility problem too much and boil it down to one
variable which can be easily tested.  I.e., does it pass or not pass

Even the CAST people know and state that this isn't so simple, and
yet people persist in caring more about a stupid cartoon logo than,
for example, testing their sites by having people with disabilities
try to use them.

Kynn Bartlett
Sr. Engineering Product Leader
Team Edapta