RE: Accessible _By_

From: Charles F. Munat <chas@munat.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:06:54 -0800
To: "'Anthony Quinn'" <anthony@frontend.com>, "'David Poehlman'" <poehlman1@home.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
There used to be (maybe there still is) a web site that you could submit a
URI to and it would send back a page with images of what your page would
look like in an assortment of browsers. I don't know how they did it, but it
was quite effective (although purely visual).

I think that if such a tool as Anthony describes were built, the best place
to put it would be on-line. Why not, instead of just validation of code or a
list of potential problems (think W3C validator and Bobby), a site that
actually *shows* you what your page would look like on various platforms and
browsers (including speech streamed in some format)?

To paraphrase... an example is worth a thousand words. Maybe the folks at
CAST could implement something like this. Or maybe someone else could build
a site that just polled Bobby and various validators and then combined the
information with actual examples.

OK, if a profit-motive is necessary, it could be a stand-alone package and
sold at a reasonable price (or a subscription site). If it were well done,
I'd buy one. So would a lot of organizations and individuals.

Charles Munat