Re: Fw: Disturbing trend in tables

Tina Marie Holmboe wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 12:06:37PM -0500, Kathleen Anderson wrote:
>
> > In FrontPage 2000, you can set the content-type meta tag by adding it to the
> > normal.htm template used for all new pages.  See:
> > http://www.cmac.state.ct.us/access/tutorials/defaultdoctype.htm
>
>   Fair enough - but my question was mostly one of curiosity: why doesn't
>   FP (any version) simply ask when opening a new document (a) which DOCTYPE
>   and (b) which document encoding; defaulting to HTML 4.01 and iso-8859-1 if
>   nothing is supplied ?

I would also ask why FP doesn't ask the author what alt text they want
for an image when they insert a picture into a page.  It can't be that
difficult - they have another wizard in FP (for databases) that walks
you through the 'insert' process step-by-step, promting you for all
sorts of things the wizard needs to work.

>   That would make many documents created by novice writers immensly more
>   robust; and is - after all - such small things to add. Professional authors
>   who employ FP (is there such a beast ? ;) would after all know this, but
>   many webpages are written by the enthusiasts who are professionals in
>   *other* fields.

I believe that FP97 used to put a DOCTYPE in; when FP98 came out, that
feature was removed.

--

Kathleen Anderson, Webmaster
Office of the State Comptroller