Re: Fw: Disturbing trend in tables

From: Tina Marie Holmboe <tina@elfi.elfi.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:14:38 +0100
To: Kathleen Anderson <kathleen.anderson@po.state.ct.us>, jim@jimthatcher.com, David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 12:06:37PM -0500, Kathleen Anderson wrote:

> In FrontPage 2000, you can set the content-type meta tag by adding it to the
> normal.htm template used for all new pages.  See:
> http://www.cmac.state.ct.us/access/tutorials/defaultdoctype.htm

  Fair enough - but my question was mostly one of curiosity: why doesn't
  FP (any version) simply ask when opening a new document (a) which DOCTYPE
  and (b) which document encoding; defaulting to HTML 4.01 and iso-8859-1 if
  nothing is supplied ?

  That would make many documents created by novice writers immensly more
  robust; and is - after all - such small things to add. Professional authors
  who employ FP (is there such a beast ? ;) would after all know this, but
  many webpages are written by the enthusiasts who are professionals in
  *other* fields.

--
 - Tina