Re: Fw: Disturbing trend in tables

From: Tina Marie Holmboe <tina@elfi.elfi.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:05:40 +0100
To: Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu>
Cc: wai-ig list <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 11:49:11AM -0600, Frank Tobin wrote:

>     I believe you are seeing the results of - yet another - hack to
>     achieve a visual layout. From the above I would make a guess that
>     they are trying to get extra space on top of the cell, and - as we
>     all know - a <P> 'makes' extra space.
>
> Personally, I don't quite see what the problem is.  First, it's perfectly
> valid xhtml to have paragraphs inside of a td.  Second, what if there are
> semantically two paragraphs in side the td?  How would you propose
> distuinguishing them if without <p>?

  You misunderstand me - as you point out it is quite valid (HTML) to have
  a P inside a TD. I said nothing towards that. However, the code gave
  quite a few cues suggesting 'layout markup'. It is my experience, and
  yes, only my experience, that people concerned about structure would add
  a </P> if including logical paragraphs inside a TD.

  As you say, there is no *structural* problem, and as others have said: there
  really should be no problem for any UA interpreting this. The content of
  that TD is a paragraph.

  My comments on the *code*, however, still stands: it looks awfully like
  someone trying to achieve a visual effect.

--
 - Tina