Re: QUESTION: use of javascript to comply with Sect 508

Section 508 specifies performance criteria not design criteria.  The
bottom line is that you can use technologies (JavaScript, DHTML, Java,
etc.) as long as they can be made accessible or you must provide an
equally accessible alternative.
As far as the fly-out menu example, by using layers you can create the
and assistive technologies will be able to read the links just like it
was a list.

--
Scott