Java applets and Screen Readers

From: Jeff Isom <jeff@cpd2.usu.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 16:15:44 -0600
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I created a page to see how screen readers work with alternative text in a
Java applet (www.webaim.org/tutorials/uofa/java/news_good.htm).

When I tested the page using JAWS 3.5, the JAWS read the content I added
within the applet tags.

When I tested the page using Homepage Reader 3.0, HPR read the alt tag of
the opening <applet> tag and skipped the content I had added to the applet.

Is there a setting in HPR which tells it to read the content between the
applet tags?

Is my mark-up correct for the applet tag?

Thanks,

Jeffrey Isom
Instructional Designer
Web Accessibility in Mind (http://www.webaim.org)