Re: Accessibility and mailto links

From: Miraz Jordan <miraz@firstbite.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:30:06 +1200
To: Graham Oliver <graham_oliver@yahoo.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 02:41 +0100 05/06/2001, Graham Oliver wrote:
>mailto' links can be a problem because :-
>
>The alternative is a forms based approach to sending
>email.
>
>Any thoughts

As a user of a regular old graphical browser I find being forced to
use a form to send email extremely annoying. My email is contained in
my email application where I can search and store as I see fit. I can
easily compose mail and save drafts or mail which needs further
considering before sending.

If I'm forced to send mail via a form this "breaks" my system. I
generally end up copying and pasting from the form to a regular
message I send to myself, thus losing the sender and addressee info.

In addition, the space on a form is often pathetic, forcing me into
annoying scrolling.

I also hate it when the feedback / email address is kept secret from
me via a form.

I have absolutely no objection to websites which give me a choice
between a form and a mailto link.

Cheers,

Miraz

--