Accessibility and mailto links

From: Graham Oliver <graham_oliver@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 02:41:58 +0100 (BST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
mailto' links can be a problem because :-

1. They pop-up an email program that the user may not
use.

2. They break checkpoint 10.1, unless there is a clear
signal that the link will open the user's email
software. I have never seen this on a web site.

On the plus side I have heard that they are helpful
because when they do work, the receiver of the email
can be sure that the reply email address is correct.

The alternative is a forms based approach to sending
email.

Any thoughts

Cheers
Graham Oliver