Table Questions

From: Liz Roberts <liz@netlogix.net>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 09:48:58 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I have a few questions regarding table use & construction:

First, as table use relates to sec 508, my understanding is that tables are
not completely barred from use as a layout tool.  Is this accurate?
(Referring only to 508.)

Second, what exactly defines a "data table"?  For instance, how does a data
table differentiate itself from a "layout table" that has a header graphic
in the first row, navigation in the second, and content in the third.  Could
the first cell holding the header graphic be correctly labeled as a table
header (<th>)?  (What would be great is a test or syllogism of some sort
which would help me clearly define data tables.)

Third, are there screen readers that can utilize the "scope," "id," and
"headers" attributes?  How valuable are these additions?  (And if anyone
knows of a detailed tutorial on their use, I would greatly appreciate it;
I'm getting better at reading the HTML spec, but there are limited
examples.)

Thank you,
Liz