Re: Media : New Zealand E-Government Strategy Launched

From: Graham Oliver <graham_oliver@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 22:51:02 +0100 (BST)
To: Barry McMullin <mcmullin@eeng.dcu.ie>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hey Barry

No worries, to quote someone famous 'There's no such
thing as bad publicity' :-)

All I can say is that I have set up a company here in
New Zealand whose purpose is to 'make on-line
information accessible'

One of our challenges is to find a way of getting to
work with the NZ Government to ensure that they 'walk
their accessibility talk'.

We have created a submission to the draft document you
reference and the 'final version' is due out in June.

Hopefully, (I will forward a copy of this response to
the author of the document) when the final version
goes up on the web it will correspond to its own

Graham Oliver

--- Barry McMullin <mcmullin@eeng.dcu.ie> wrote: >
> This is a cheap shot, but I can't resist [grin].  In
> looking at
> the background to the NZ e-government strategy, I
> looked at their
> "e-government web guidelines".  This includes a
> section on
> standards conformance, including HTML - which is all
> very
> laudable.  Inter alia it requires the inclusion of a
> declaration in every HTML page ... but does the page
> making this
> stipulation have a DOCTYPE declaration?  Yup, you
> guessed ... (in
> fact, the W3 validator returns a long list of
> violations in
> addition to the lack of DOCTYPE).
> If you want to savour the irony youself, I give the
> URL below;
> but for those of you listening rather than reading,
> be warned
> that this is a rather long and horrible URL...
> Cheers,
> - Barry.

<Start Signature>
'Making on-line information accessible'