Re: Media : New Zealand E-Government Strategy Launched

From: Barry McMullin <mcmullin@eeng.dcu.ie>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:25:32 +0100 (IST)
To: Graham Oliver <graham_oliver@yahoo.com>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

This is a cheap shot, but I can't resist [grin].  In looking at
the background to the NZ e-government strategy, I looked at their
"e-government web guidelines".  This includes a section on
standards conformance, including HTML - which is all very
laudable.  Inter alia it requires the inclusion of a DOCTYPE
declaration in every HTML page ... but does the page making this
stipulation have a DOCTYPE declaration?  Yup, you guessed ... (in
fact, the W3 validator returns a long list of violations in
addition to the lack of DOCTYPE).

If you want to savour the irony youself, I give the URL below;
but for those of you listening rather than reading, be warned
that this is a rather long and horrible URL...

Cheers,

- Barry.

The "DOCTYPE" URL:

http://www.e-government.govt.nz/guidelines/web-guidelines/e-government-web-guidelines-consultation-draft-html/e-government-web-guidelines-consultation-draftp23.htm