Re: !important

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:44:47 -0400 (EDT)
To: Jim Tobias <tobias@inclusive.com>
cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
One of the important changes that have been made to W3C specifications as a
result of WAI review was to change the meaning of !important in the CSS2 spec
(with regard to its meaning in CSS1).

In CSS1, it allows the author to override the user. It is recommended in that
spec that browsers provide a mechanism for turning off style sheets (this is
the work-around anyway).

In CSS2 the cascade order was changed - the following order applies (winners

User !important
Author !important
Author other styles
User other styles