RE: Is AAA possible?

I am confused by this position.  It seems to me that going from double-A to
tripple-A is not that much work.  What are the checkpoints that are onerous?
I will admit that I see double-A as having significant implications for
designers (with the prohibition against textual graphics, deprecated HTML
elements, and virtual requirment for style sheets).  But once one is
comfortable with strict (X)HTML and CSS, how much addtional work are the P3
items?