RE: Slashdot: How should Govt sites be designed?

From: Charles F. Munat <chas@munat.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:00:37 -0800
To: "'Bailey, Bruce'" <Bruce_Bailey@ed.gov>, "'Dr Nick Fiddes'" <nick@scotweb.ltd.uk>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, <info@open.gov.uk>
Bruce Bailey wrote:
"I also agree with Charles that the efforts of the web development team are
truly commendable.  We really are nit picking.  The site is extremely
accessible, and definitely Single-A compliant.  Hip, hip, hurrah!"

Reply:

Not so fast, Bruce... I said their efforts were commendable, but I stopped
short of calling them extremely accessible. I agree that the site is far
more accessible than most, but I also think that Anne is correct when she
complains that the text-only nature of the site is a barrier to people with
cognitive disabilities.

Anne and I may not agree on the *extent* to which images are needed
(sometimes I think Anne would like nothing better than for every site on
line to look like a Dr. Seuss book), but without any visual clues, this
would be a pretty difficult site for most people with cognitive
disabilities. And given that it's a government site, that seems a pretty
serious oversight.

Charles F. Munat,
Seattle, Washington