Re: javascript menus and accessibility

From: David Holstius <holstius@pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:20:49 -0500
To: "W3c-Wai-Ig" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Another problem that seems to arise more often with javascripty sites is the
lack of attention to meaningful URLs. This might be due to the
extra-noticable lack of attention paid to non-visual mechanisms when coding
pop-up menus.

Yes, it's a problem with straight HREFs, too, but my friend has told me
that, for example, http://www.audible.com presents a nightmare for a screen
reader (and he's pretty good with it, too).

That site has numerous other problems besides (ironic for a site that might
leverage an audience of visually-impaired persons) including NO
functionality without javascript, but the meaningless URLs that get read off
by (at least) JAWS is what I wanted to point out.

David Holstius
holstius@msu.edu