RE: breaking up links

One very easy thing to do is to end each link with a period.  Make sure that
the "." is outside of the ending </A>
This is technique is subtle enough that it won't degrade your visual
presentation, but can make quite a bid of difference to screen reader.  I
know some authors even go the extra step of putting periods at the end of
each <LI> but then using CSS to render the punctuation invisible.