breaking up links

From: Jamie Mackay <Jamie.Mackay@cultureandheritage.govt.nz>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:26:31 +1300
To: "WAI Interest Group (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Simple question I gues, but has anyone got a good way for breaking up lists
of links?

I just want to list 6 navigation links one under the other on the front
page. According to the guidelines I need to have more than just a <br> or
this solution would not be appropriate for what I am trying to achieve (and
it seems very anti-usability to unecessarily impose order on navigation).

I guess another option is the old single pixel gif (with blank alt="" of
course), but this seems like a backward step to me, and goes against the aim
of separating formatting from content.

Any suggestions welcome
Jamie Mackay