RE: Is large print Accessibility?

> From:	Ben Morris [SMTP:bmorris@activematter.com]
>
> who has no disabilities, but does need reading glasses.  He might have
> trouble trying to view many pages without his glasses, such as
> www.citigroup.com which uses smaller sized image-text.

	[DJW:]  The fundamental accessibility problem with this
	site is that it puts up a please upgrade message rather
	than sensible noframes text, and for Lynx, which has
	workarounds for bad <noframes>, the frame names are things
	like top and main which don't give very strong clues as
	to which frame to use.  There are no titles on the frames,
	although I'm not sure that Lynx uses them yet.

	They do have ALT text but have forgotten to put alt=""
	on visual gimmicks, like the line to the right of the
	menu.  This makes the text only view very noisy with
	things like [triangle.gif] and [spacer.gif} - lynx now
	uses image file names, rather than image, because this
	gives a better clue in the normal case of no alt text.

	I have varifocals, and I actually find  the real
	text more of a problem  , as I normally use an IE
	Smaller font size to maximise the screen content and
	minimise paper waste in printouts.

	I can read the image text even through the distance part
	of the lens.  This is the worst part, and it is real
text:  "To view/print the Portable Document Format files
 (PDFs) on this site, download a free Acrobat Reader from Adobe."

	I've only had varifocals for about 18 months but had
	problems reading small print before that.
[DJW:]