RE: Commercial Realities and Accessibility

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:25:27 -0700
To: Dave J Woolley <david.woolley@bts.co.uk>
Cc: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 11:38 AM 9/26/2000 , Dave  J Woolley wrote:
> > From: Ben Morris [SMTP:bmorris@activematter.com]
> > The other factor is that most large scale sites are template driven,
> > especially those made by my company.  The beauty there is that you can
> > make
> > several versions of the site by changing just one template page.  So with
>         [DJW:]  A problem with server side templates are that
>         they often do not keep up to date with minority browsers.
>         A common complaint on the lynx mailing list [...] is
>         that they are not given access to features of the page
>         that they could use because the site suppresses those
>         features because it incorrectly believes the browser
>         cannot cope (some also complain that they don't want
>         to lose the feature even though they have to do some
>         source reading to work with the page).

This is where current techniques for adaptive page generation
fail, and represents the major area of work for Edapta, Inc.,
my employer.  This is one reason why the W3C's Composite
Capabilities/Preferences Profiles (CC/PP) work is so vital,
because it allows for _self-identifying browsers_ that speak
to servers in terms of _capabilities_ not in terms of specific
browser type.

This is the future of web design -- a multitude of different
user agent types accessing intelligent servers which provide
accessible, optimized user interfaces dynamically based upon
the requirements of the user and access method.

This is Edapta.

e.

End advert.

--Kynn