Re: reading vs. writing

From: Al Gilman <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2000 10:41:40 -0400
To: David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>, Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, jonathan chetwynd <jc@signbrowser.org.uk>
At 09:31 AM 2000-09-03 -0400, David Poehlman wrote:

>                              ...  I saw the dictionary definition and if
>I told someone I read a photo, I'd be laughed at.

AG::

On the other hand, if you told someone your radiologist read your X-Rays,
they would not blink.  If you described it any other way they would find it
odd.

It is a matter of context whether text input is assumed when "reading" is
the activity.

There is no one boundary to the meaning of a term in natural language.
Natural language terms zoom in and out in definition space as a function of
the context in which they are used.

Al