Re: Logical Linearized Order on a Page

From: jonathan chetwynd <jc@signbrowser.org.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 09:27:24 +0100
To: <paciello@webable.com>, "Ian Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>, "Kynn Bartlett" <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Cc: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bruce_Bailey@ed.gov>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Surely it is important to recognise that at the minimum, when designing a
homepage every user should understand the aims of the site.

I imagine about 1:1000 users shown the w3c homepage would express a positive
interest, or be able to answer a simple question on the aims of w3c. That
means 999 are not getting 'the message'.
Fortunately the WAI homepage fares a little better.

Experts will easily find the information they seek.
Why is there a need for a members link on the homepage?
It merely confirms a feeling of exclusion for most visitors.
As an aside, is it right that w3c should have a 'private' corporate sector,
who's interests is it furthering?

We need, not only to match the site(and the homepage in particular) to our
percieved audience, but also to ensure that people misdirected, or browsing
also understand our intention.
Plain english is great in this instance.

jonathan chetwynd

jc@signbrowser.org.uk
special needs teacher
web accessibility consultant