RE: Netscape 6

From: Frank Buckley <frank.buckley@downsnet.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 09:15:41 +0100
To: "'w3c-wai-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

> If I am wrong about any of this, I'd love to be corrected. Is something
> wrong with my version? Does NS 6 actually work on other people's
computers?
> Please... say it ain't so.

Netscape 6 preview 1 is somewhat outdated as far as Mozilla development
goes. The latest builds <http://www.mozilla.org/> are working pretty well.
Milestone 17 is due anytime and will form the base of Netscape preview/beta
2.

My testing suggests that Mozilla 1.0/Netscape 6.0, Opera 4.01+ and MSIE 5.0+
can all do a good enough job of HTML/CSS sufficient to layout most
requirements to standards (i.e. no 'tweaking' needed).

Once accessibility concern: Mozilla 1.0/Netscape 6.0 use proprietary methods
for generating the UI - buttons, listboxes, menus are drawn by the browser -
not the OS. I presume this means screen readers and other accessibility
devices are going to have trouble hooking into the browser controls.

Regards,

Frank Buckley

The Down Syndrome Educational Trust
http://www.downsed.org/